The Legal Aspects of Corporate Financing Structures
Course Co-ordinator: Associate Professor Tracy Gutuza
Kramer Law Building
Phone: +27 21 650 5900
Higher postgraduate course, second semester.
See Rules for LLM and MPhil Degrees and Postgraduate Diplomas.
The course will be presented through a series of lectures and seminars. The aim of the course is to develop academic and professional proficiency in the legal aspects of corporate financing arrangements. The areas to be addressed will include:
- Selected legislation
- Regulatory aspects of non-equity financing
- Debt versus equity financing
- Non-equity financing methods, including:
- Loan agreements
- Convertible debentures
- Sale and lease backs
- Project financing
- Equity financing methods such as preference share funding
- Relevant issues to consider in non-equity financing structures such as company law, tax, insolvency, security
- Specific types of structured financing deals such as BEE and private equity structures.
Other lecturers: Adjunct Professor Etienne Swanepoel