BA LLB LLM
Lise Bosman joined the Department of Commercial Law in 2004 to develop a new course in commercial arbitration, and was appointed an Adjunct Professor in 2007.
Lise is a graduate of UCT (BA LLB) and of the University of Notre Dame (LLM). A specialist in international commercial and investment arbitration, she began her career at the Iran-United States Claims Tribunal in The Hague in 1993 and then practised international arbitration at the Amsterdam offices of the law firms Stibbe (1997-1999) and Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer (1999-2005).
Lise's areas of practice have included international commercial arbitration, public international law arbitration, cross-border transactions, joint ventures, foreign investment law and public-private partnerships. She is currently based at the Peace Palace in The Hague, as Senior Legal Counsel to the Permanent Court of Arbitration and Executive Director of ICCA (International Council for Commercial Arbitration). Her primary research interest lies in international commercial and investment arbitration practice in Africa.
Courses taught: Commercial Arbitration
Other professional activities:
- Fellow, South African Association of Arbitrators.
- Founding Member, ICCA Working Group on African Arbitral Practice (2016-)
- Member, Court of Lagos Chamber of Commerce International Arbitration Centre (2015-)
- Advisory Board, Hague Project Peace and Justice (2015-)
- Advisory Board, African Commercial Law Foundation (2015-)
- Editorial Board, Tijdschrift voor Arbitrage (2012-)
- General Editor and contributing author, Practitioner's Guide to Arbitration in Africa, including chapters on “South Africa” and “Southern Africa and the Model Law” (Kluwer Law International, 2013)
- General Editor, ICCA International Handbook on Commercial Arbitration
- Drafting Committee: “CIArb Centenary London Conference Principles” for a safe arbitral seat (Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, 2015)
- Author, “The PCA’s Contribution to Dispute Resolution in Africa”, 25(2) Stellenbosch Law Review (2014) 308-327
- Author, D. Williams et al, “The Court’s Role in Supporting Arbitration during the Course of the Arbitral Proceedings (the “Juge d’Appui”): a Practical Application” in International Bureau of the Permanent Court of Arbitration (ed.), MIAC 2012: An African Seat for the 21st Century (2013)
- Author, “In conversation with Piet Sanders on “The Work of UNCITRAL on Arbitration and Conciliation”: “Quo Vadis the UNCITRAL Model Law in Southern Africa?,” Tijdschrift voor Arbitrage, (4) 2012 (September 2012), p. 211
- Author, "The Iran-United Claims Tribunal - A joint contribution", Hague Yearbook of International Law (1993-1997); "Rethinking Discovery in International Arbitration", ICC Bulletin, vol. 12, no. 1 (2001)
- Series Editor, Permanent Court of Arbitration Award Series
- Drafting Committee: Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA) Arbitration Rules (2012)
Congresses and conferences:
- Co-organiser, 23rd ICCA Congress, Mauritius (May 2016)
- Co-organiser and speaker at eight African ICCA-Mauritius Congress pre-Congress Roadshows (Cairo, Johannesburg, Nairobi, Douala, Lagos, Port Louis, New York and London) (June 2015-February 2016)
- Co-organiser, ICCA-HKIAC Hong Kong Summit 2015 (May 2015)
- Other selected recent speaking engagements: Dutch Arbitration Association Investment Arbitration Chapter (May 2016), Tsinghua University, Beijing (May 2015), International Arbitration and ADR in Africa, Durban (June 2015), ), Dutch Journal on International Trade Law, Amsterdam (April 2015), Kigali International Arbitration Centre (May 2014), Peace Palace Centenary Celebration (October 2013)
- International Council for Commercial Arbitration (www.arbitration-icca.org)
- Permanent Court of Arbitration (www.pca-cpa.org)