Mikovhe Maphiri is a Lecturer and PhD Candidate in the Department of Commercial Law at the University of Cape Town (UCT). She is an Associate legal coordinator for the Telluride Association and serves as a Member of the Board of Directors of the Telluride Association in Ithaca, New York. She was admitted as an Attorney of the High Court of South Africa in 2017. She holds a Master of Laws (LLM) in Commercial Law from UCT and a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) from the University of Limpopo. Her research interests are on internal corporate governance with special interest in sustainability, Corporate Social Responsibility and Shared value within companies in South Africa. Her PhD research has attracted platforms for international collaboration at the Institute of Sustainability and leadership at the University of Cambridge where she worked on climate change, sustainability, shared value, Corporate Social Responsibility(CSR), Business ethics, international relations and development. Mikovhe was also a Grotius research scholar at the University of Michigan in the United States and she was also one of first International Alliance of Research Universities (IARU) scholars to represent the UCT at the University of Cambridge in the United Kingdom. In pursuit of her career in academia, Mikovhe has received over thirteen national and international prestigious Awards and fellowships since 2015.
- Company Law
- Law for Engineers
- Business Law I (CML1001F/CML1004S)
- MC. Maphiri, The suitability, if any, of South Africa’s business rescue procedure in providing reorganization strategies for South African small to medium sized enterprises: what lessons if any can we learn from Chapter 11 of the US bankruptcy code? (Forthcoming Comment Michigan Law Review 2018).
- Principles of Market Abuse Regulation: A Comparative South African Perspective. By Howard Chitimira. Juta and Company (Pty) Ltd. 2018. x + 158pp. Forth coming book review in the South African Law Journal.
- 2017-2018: The Telluride Association Residential Scholarship, Ann Abor Michigan.
- 2017-2019: NRF Scarce Skills Doctoral fellowship.
- 2016-2018: The University of Cape Town’s Doctoral scholarship.
- 2017: International Alliance of Research University scholarship awarded by Santander (awarded to one outstanding UCT student to participate in IARU in Cambridge University, United Kingdom).
- 2017-2018: Miller-Sidgwick International Exchange Scholarship (awarded to one outstanding UCT student to engage in study abroad programme at the University of Michigan).
- 2016-2018: The Harry Crossley Fellowship awarded by UCT’s postgraduate funding centre for PhD in law.
- 2016-2018: The Hans Middleman Open Society Bursary awarded by UCT’s postgraduate funding for PhD degree in law.
- 2017-2018: The University of Michigan Grotius research Scholar fellowship.
- 2016: Dean’s fellow, fellowship awarded by the Dean of the Faculty of Law at UCT.
- 2016: The Law Faculty Endowment Scholarship for PhD degree in law.
- 2015: The Harry Crossley Foundation Prestigious fellowship award for Master’s degree at the UCT.
- 2015: The University of Cape Town’s Masters Scholarship, awarded for LLM degree.
- 2015: The National Research Foundation (NRF) Innovative Master’s degree scholarship awarded for LLM degree at UCT.
AWARDED BUT NOT ACCEPTED
- 2018: Michigan Grotius Fellowship, awarded by the Michigan Law school for an LLM/SJD program.
- 2015: Maphiri Mikovhe. “Business Rescue in South Africa and its practical application to Small Medium Enterprises (SMEs)” The harry Crossley foundation scholarship holders conference presentation 7 May 2015, University of Cape Town. Upper Campus.
- 2017: Maphiri Mikovhe. “Visions of the future’’ conference, 28 July 2017, University of Cambridge Institute of Continuing Education Madingley Hall Madingley England.
- 2018: Mikovhe Maphiri Organizer and Moderator for the 2018 Junior Scholars conference April 13 & 14 2018 University of Michigan Law School, Ann Arbor, Michigan.
- 2018: Maphiri Mikovhe. Confronting the Rhetoric of Multinational Enterprises Accountability for Environmental Rights Violations in South Africa (Forth coming Conference presentation Nelson Mandela University Eastern Cape Province, South Africa, 14-17 October 2018)