Prof Salvatore Mancuso
JD University of Palermo 1985 summa,European Master for Company Lawyers 1989-90, Ph.D in Comparative Law, University of Trieste 2003.
Salvatore Mancuso has worked in private legal practice, corporate practice, and then academia and research. Prof Mancuso lectured at the University of Trieste and Trento and eventually moved to Macau, China, where he was appointed Professor of Comparative Law and Legal Anthropology at the Faculty of Law, University of Macau, China. He is honorary professor of African Law at the Centre for African Laws and Society, Xiangtan University, China. Since 2004, he has been Area Coordinator of Comparative Law for the Master in European, International and Comparative Law. He has been a Visiting or Adjunct Professor at various institutions including the University of Trieste, Italy, since 2007, University of Limoges, France, October and November 2009, June 2011; University Eduardo Mondlane, Maputo, Mozambique, February 2010; National University of Taipei, February 2009; University of Réunion, France, December 2009; University of Lisbon, May 2011; University of Mauritius, September 2008; University of Ghana – Legon, February 2008; University of Palermo, Italy, March 2007; University of Salerno, Italy, February 2007; East China University of Politics and Law, Shanghai, P.R. of China, May 2005; University of Asmara, Eritrea, October 2003, Lecturer on African Law, University of Trento, Italy, 1999-2001.
Prof Mancuso is a member of numerous professional associations including the International Academy of Comparative Law (IACL-AIDC), the African Society of International and Comparative Law, the Italian Association of Comparative Law (SIRD) as well as founder of the Macao Association of Comparative Law. He is Vice-President (Events) of the Juris Diversitas association, and the UNIDA representative for Asia, Indian Ocean countries and Portuguese-speaking countries. In 2013, he was a member of the team of experts advising the Egyptian government on its draft mediation law.
He is the editor-in-chief of the Journal of Comparative Law in Africa and also a member of the Scientific Committee of various other Law journals and research projects including Revue juridique de l’ERSUMA, Revue de droit uniforme africain, Revue congolaise de droit et des affaires and the “Regional Integration and SADC Law” project, launched by CEDIR – University Eduardo Mondlane, Maputo, Mozambique. He is Vice-President of the Juris Diversitas group. Prof Mancuso speaks and publishes in English, Italian, Portuguese and French.
Comparative Legal Systems (LLM)
African Law (LLM)
Previously taught Chinese Law, African Environmental Law and European Private Law in other institutions
- Direito Comercial Africano - OHADA, (OHADA Law in Portuguese) (2012) Coimbra, Almedina
- Diritto commerciale africano (African Business Law), (2009) Naples, ESI - Edizioni Scientifiche Italiane
- Il diritto del Kenya (The Law of Kenya), (2006) Milan, Gruppo Edicom, Diritto commerciale
- Africano (African Business Law), (2009) Naples,ESI - Edizioni Scientifiche Italiane.Terra in Africa.
- Diritto fondiario eritreo (2013) EUT, Trieste.
- The Harmonization of Business Law in Africa and its Advantages for Chinese Investments in Africa, proceedings of the conference held in Macao on 27 November 2007, (2008) Macao.
- With Yonghong HONG, Research on Legal Environment for Chinese Investments in Africa, (2009) Xiangtan University Press.
- With Io Cheng TONG, XVIII International Congress of Comparative Law – Macau Regional Reports, (2010) Macau, Imprensa Wah Ha.
- Studies on Macau Gaming Law, (2012) Hong Kong, Lexis Nexis.
- With Io Cheng TONG, New frontiers of comparative law, (2013) Hong Kong, Lexis Nexis.
- With Charles M. FOMBAD, Comparative Law in Africa: Methodologies and Concepts, (2015) Cape Town, JUTA.
Recent peer-reviewed articles and book chapters include:
- How does and should one compare law?, forthcoming in the volume “Comparing Comparative Law” edited by Samantha Besson and Lukas Heckendorn Urscheler
- Interaction among Traditional Law, Islamic Law and Colonial Law during The Italian Administration of Somalia, forthcoming as book chapter in the book “Italian Colonialism in Somalia” edited by Tullio Scovazzi (University of Milan) and Abdullahi A. Yusuf (International Court of Justice).
- Langues et droit en Afrique, forthcoming in the book “Le droit au pluriel. Melanges en memoire du Professeur Stanislas Melone”, edited by Adolphe Minkoa She and Jeanne Claire Mebu Nchimi.
- Contract law in the BRICS countries: a comparative approach, forthcoming in the volume A BRICS-Lawyers’ Guide to Global Cooperation edited by Rostam J Neuwirth, Alexandr Svetlicinii, Denis De Castro Halis, University of Macau, China, by Cambridge University Press (2017).
- Tontines and other Forms of Rotating Credit Associations in Africa, forthcoming in the volume “Comparative Studies in the History of Insurance Law” edited by Prof. Phillip Hellwege, Augsburg University, Germany (forthcoming 2017).
- Legal literature of Somalia. A bibliographic essay, in Annual Review of Islam in Africa, Issue No. 12/13 (2015-2016), p. 77-91.
- Comparative Law in the African context, in Salvatore Mancuso, Charles M. Fombad (eds.), Comparative Law in Africa: Methodologies and Concepts, (2015) Cape Town, JUTA, p. 21-33.
- African Law in Action, 58 Journal of African Law (2014), n. 1, p. 1-21.
- La coexistence du droit civil et du common law en Afrique, Revue de l’ERSUMA: Droit des affaires - Pratique Professionnelle, N° Spécial IDEF - Mars 2014, L’interpénétration des systèmes juridiques: de l’ignorance à la confrontation et à la coexistence harmonisée, p. 169-178.
- Le droit de contrats en Afrique. Le regard d’un africaniste, in M. Fontaine and D. Philippe, Contrats internationaux et arbitrage/International Contrats and Arbitration, (2014) Brussels, Larcier, p. 55-73.
- Short Notes on the Legal Pluralism(s) in Somaliland, in S.P. Donlan, L. Heckendorn Urscheler (eds.), Concepts of Law, (2014) London, Ashgate, p. 237-250.
- L’espressione diversa di un diritto diverso: lingua e diritto in Africa, in B. Pozzo (ed.), Lingua e diritto: oltre l’Europa, (2014) Milan, Giuffré, p. 39-56.
- A gap is a gap everywhere? An African Contribution to the Taxonomy of Legal Gaps, 29 Tulane European & Civil Law Forum (2014), p. 1-13.
- Pluralismo giuridico in Somalia. Trascorsi storici e sviluppi recenti, 9 Iura Gentium (2014), p.140-163.
- Analyse historique et comparée de la figure de l’entreprenant en droit OHADA, in J. Diffo Tchunkam (ed.), L’OHADA au service de l’économie et de l’entreprise, (2014) Cape Town, JUTA, p. 178-187.
- The African Concept of Settlement of Disputes, in T. Nhlapo, E. Arogundade, H. Garuba, “African Culture, Human Rights and Modern Constitutions”, University of Cape Town, 2013.
- As uniões de facto no contexto jurídico africano e as particularidades cabo-verdianas, in Revista Direito e Cidadania, vol. 31 (2013), p.269-282.
- The use of comparative law by the judiciary in Macao, in I.C. Tong, S.Mancuso (eds.), New frontiers of comparative law, (2013) Hong Kong, Lexis Nexis, p. 229-237.
- La circolazione di modelli giuridici (legali o dottrinali) italiani nell’Africa sub-sahariana (The circulation of Italian legal and scholarly patterns in sub-Saharan Africa), in S. Lanni-P. Sirena (eds.), Il modello giuridico – scientifico e legislativo – italiano fuori dell’Europa. Atti del II Congresso Nazionale della SIRD. Siena, Italy, 20-21-22 September 2012, (2013) Naples, ESI, p. 73-82.
- Creating Mixed Jurisdictions: Some Methodological Reflections on Legal Integration in the SADC Region, 6 Journal of Comparative Law (2011), p. 146-160.
- Regulation of Gaming Companies in Macau, in Salvatore Mancuso (ed.) Studies on Macau Gaming Law, (2012) Hong Kong, Lexis Nexis Butterworths, p. 127-152 [ISBN: 978-988-8146-34-5].
- Complexity of transnational Sources from a Transnational Point of View: the OHADA Approach, 20 European Review of Private Law (2012), n. 1, p. 169-183.
- OHADA et common law: amis ou ennemis?, in P. De Wolf, I. Verougstraete, Le droit de l’OHADA : son insertion en République Democratique du Congo, (2012) Bruxelles, Bruylant, p. 313-333.
- The African Legal Support Facility as a Tool against Vulture Funds (with Sten Verhoeven), 5 Revue d’intelligence stratégique et des relations internationales Dounia (2012), p. 113-122.
- Le droit OHADA vers sa population. Y-a-t'il une place pour les droits originellement africains dans le processus d'harmonisation du droit des contrats en Afrique?, in "Les pratiques contractuelles d'affaires et les processus d'harmonisation dans les espaces régionaux", (conference proceedings), (2012) Porto Novo, ERSUMA.
- China in Africa and the Law, in 18 Annual Survey of International and Comparative Law (2012) p. 243-261.
- La diversité des sources du droit aux Comores: entre droit occidental, droit islamique et droit coutumier, RJOI, n° 15, 2012, p. 73-93.
- Harmonization of Laws and Convergence between Common Law and Civil Law: Lessons from the OHADA Experience, in A.C. Dimande, G. Cistac and C.E. Minega (eds.), Regional Integration, Rule of Law and Development. Lessons from SADC Experience, Maputo, Escolar Editora, 2012.
- Legal Integration in the SADC Region: a Methodological Approach, in A.C. Dimande, G. Cistac and C.E. Minega (eds.), Regional Integration, Rule of Law and Development. Lessons from SADC Experience, Maputo, Escolar Editora, 2012.
- Creating Mixed(?) Jurisdictions: Some Methodological Reflections on Legal Integration in the SADC Region, 6 Journal of Comparative Law (2011)
- Terras, cidades e direito em Africa and O direito da familia num context pluralista: o caso de Mocambique, both in Dan WEI and Orquidea MASSARONGO (ed.) (2011) Macao
- Complexity of Transnational Sources from a Transnational Point of View: the OHADA Approach, 19 European Review of Private Law (2011) n.6, pp169-83.
- African Legal Hybridity: Interaction of Western, Islamic and Native Law in the Comorian Legal System, in Eleanor Cash Ritaine, Seán Patrick Donlan, Martin Sychold (Eds.), Comparative Law and Hybrid Legal Traditions, (2010) Zurich, Schulthess.
- OHADA entry in Digesto Italiano. Discipline Privatistiche, (2010) Turin, UTET
- Legal Transplants and Economic Development: Common Law vs. Civil Law ?, in Paulo CARDINAL, Jorge COSTA OLIVEIRA (Eds.), One Country, Two Systems, Three Legal Orders. Perspectives of Evolution. Essays on Macau's Autonomy After the Resumption of Sovereignty by China (2009), Heidelberg, Springer.
- The Renunciation to the State Sovereignty under the OHADA Treaty for the Harmonization of Business Law in Africa, in Chima Centus NWEZE (ed.) Contemporary Issues in International and Comparative Law: Essays In Honor Of Professor Dr. Christian Nwachukwu Okeke (2009), Lake Mary, Vandeplas Publishing.
- Consumer Protection in E-Commerce Transactions: A First Comparison between EU Law and Islamic Law, in L. Padmavathi (ed.), E-Commerce Consumer Protection, Hyderabad, The Icfai University Press, 2009
2007 – 2008
- The New African Law: Beyond the Difference Between Common Law and Civil Law, in (2008) Annual Survey of International and Comparative Law, vol. XIV, n. 1, p. 39, Golden Gate University, San Francisco, US;
- The Harmonization of Commercial Law in Africa: the Project Related to Telecommunications in the OHADA Harmonization Process, in Sylvia MERCADO KIERKEGAARD (ed.), Business Law and Technology: Present and Emerging Trends (2007) IAITL;
- Trends on the Harmonization of Contract Law in Africa, in 13 Annual Survey of International & Comparative Law (2007), p. 157;